Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Halloween Bakes

One of our favourite activities is baking, well I bake and Mia makes lots of mess and eats everything she can steal! With Halloween round the corner, what better theme to use with our baking this week!
I actually don't have any equipment relating to Halloween but I still think we did pretty well! 

The pumpkins were a number 0 biscuit cutter, the ghosts a Christmas bell, the skeletons a Gingerbread man and I also made bats out of a holly leaf biscuit cutter. 
The only thing special I bought were these gel food colour tubes in these bright colours. I hate the liquid food colouring, I've never mastered it and think they make the mixture far too wet. These gels were great, very pigmented and great for icing.

I used a very simple biscuit recipe, 
200g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
1 egg beaten
400g plain flour
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

For the icing I used..
500g sifted icing sugar
2 x 8g sachets of egg white powder
Gel food colouring 





To create my spider buns I used a basic sponge recipe, I always weigh my eggs first and use the same weight for butter, caster sugar and self raising flour. 
I then add a little baking powder and vanilla essence, and as a special touch added some if the gel food colouring! 

The icing was buttercream with black and purple food colouring. With smarties and strawberry laces to decorate! 

Super simple but effective!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment